Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!!!



Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!! There is so much to be Thankful for. For the most part, I have my health. I also have a wonderful family, that I get to come home to. We are able to go and buy food to eat. And we have a roof over our heads. With heat. Things that I don't always have in my own home. I have learned that there is so much to be grateful for! Things that I took for granted as a kid; food, heat, and having money.

But never in my life have I lacked for love. Maybe there were times when I would have traded someone else's love, for a bit more from my parents. But I have never been someone who has lacked in love. My Auntie Chuchie taught me so much as a kid. Much more than I have probably ever learned from another single person. About love, kindness, and giving. Not once did she ever turn you away, or was stingy with anything. Especially food.

On this day especially, I miss her. I miss my Uncle Al. I miss my grandma. But I also realize that these are the people that have shaped the woman that I am. Those experiences with them. The love they shared with me. I will forever be grateful for them. To this day, I find myself remembering the silly things we did together.

Thanksgiving is much more than a turkey and mashed potatoes. Even more than the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Much more than the pumpkin pie. It is about family and friends. About honoring old traditions and making new ones. It is a time to celebrate your family, and show each other how much you love one another. And although I will only see a very small amount of my family today, they are all in my hearts! Happy Thanksgiving!!!





Our Plan for the Day

I have been up for hours. I have 3 loafs of pumpkin bread in the oven. And Tom the Turkey is ready to go into the oven next. He is sitting on the counter. All stuffed with yummy veggies, herbs, and citrus. I also used 2 sticks of butter with tons of seasoning. Tom got a butter massage. :)

My mom and I baked pies last night. Oh, and we had to go to the store for some grocery shopping. The grocery store was a bit crazy! And we had to go to 4 stores to find a ham. It was kind of funny. To be honest, I would rather eat ham than turkey for Thanksgiving. But we cook both. All the running around last night, will pay off today when we get to eat.

Actually, we usually cook a ton and a half of food. But this year, my parents and I had planned to go to the mountains. They have property across the road from my grandparents. We were going to go spend the holiday out there. My grandparents are moving to my hometown in the Spring. This would be our last holiday together out there. But a HUGE snow storm is supposed to be on the way. And I have to be back at work this weekend. Total drive from the mountains to where I work, 6 hours. Not considering the snow. My mom thought it would be better to stay home. Their home. Still a 4 hour drive to work. Mostly through the desert though.

We usually have all our family over. But our plans changed last minute. Like Tuesday night. We are only expecting 40 people or so. My older twin brothers, one of their wives, and a few of my nieces and nephews. The rest are friends. And we don't expect everyone at once. But we are cooking a turkey and a ham. It will be more than enough. I can barely pick up either of them. I think we got the biggest turkey at the meat market!

Another big difference this year, I am not baking bread. I always make bread. My grandma gave me her recipe about 15 years ago. Since I was really little, we would bake together. Then as I got older, I became the baker. But this year, well there was no time. And honestly, I am wiped out from school and work. We bought a bunch of the crescent rolls in a can. I can almost guarantee, no one will notice! OK, maybe the trash can will. I have 10 tubes to bake!

I should get back to my cooking. My dad already left for the office. To do, who knows what. My mom is still sleeping. And my pumpkin bread has 10 more minutes in the oven. Maybe I can take a quick nap. I only slept for an hour and a half last night!

I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

Ciao!

XOXO
♥Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment